Response to Craig Werner, “Dylan, Brits, and Blue-Eyed Soul”

I personally enjoyed reading this article because it informed me of something I was un aware of. Everyone knows that the blues influenced many different genres of music and in this reading it spoke of how it influenced Rock and Roll specifically British boy bands or groups. What wowed me about this reading is how so much respect and homage was paid by the bands such as Rolling Stone , the Beatles, Animals have made history and will forever be remembered world wide to Chicago and Memphis and all of the African American blues artists . The level of influence to me seemed more than just in an artistic sense but in a personal relatable sense. From the lyrics to the rhythm and even the performing style. That part that Jagger pretty much developed his own moves from watching the great James Brown made me chuckle a little but in a positive feel. What I also loved was that the black artists wasn’t sour about anything in fact they felt looked up too in a way and welcomed these bands with open arms. The love was real. Although racism was still strong in those days I feel like between these British bands particularly the Stones and black artists like Muddy Waters there was never a color only the love of good music that The listeners can not only enjoy listening to but relate to as well.
At the beginning of the reading it stated that blues “isn’t confined to one musical form” which brought me back to one of last weeks presentations on downtown jazz I believe and although jazz and blues are different genres they do have things in common and that statement from the reading is one of them. Some of the music presented I can’t say I liked but it was the artist’s expression and feeling and most people might think it’s bad but someone in this world can relate to it just like the bands related to blues. Rules are meant to be broken and just like once upon a time blues and jazz was considered “lower class” and now it isn’t down town jazz and all it’s forms might have an up-roar one day.
If there is anything I learned from this article is to keep and open mind, pay respect, because your favorite artists have favorite artists you might not neccersarily be into.

One thought on “Response to Craig Werner, “Dylan, Brits, and Blue-Eyed Soul”

1. When I was younger and growing up on pop/punk bands like Sum 41, Blink-182, and Simlpe Plan which popular at the time (around 2002 or so) I remember being in the car with my dad and there was some 50’s rock n’ roll song playing. I don’t remember if it was Chuck Berry, or Elvis or whoever else but in any event I wasn’t able to even believe him that that was rock, I thought my pop/punk bands I was listening to was what rock was. I couldn’t even like this old early rock music because it was so foreign to what I was used to at the time. However, those early 2000’s pop/punk bands would not have been making the kind of music the were making if it wasn’t for artists before them being influenced by artists before them leading back this early rock. But as I got older, I learned to appreciate this lineage more especially now that my tastes have expanded for beyond what they were in 2002. You’ve always gotta appreciate the roots of the music you love and even if your not personally into the music your favorite artists grew up on, it might grow on you over time if you give it a chance.