In Defense of Disco

Richard Dyer argues that one of the reasons why disco music was so looked down by rock and folk fans was because it was seen as highly commercialized music that represents capitalism. If I was growing up in the 70’s I probably would have had this opinion of disco music, I often find that the corporitization of music often leads to very bland and low quality music. That’s how I feel about most of the pop music that’s being mass marketed today. However, I find that the quality of mainstream pop music has gotten worse since the 70’s and although there were a lot of horrendous disco hits in the 70’s, some of them were actually pretty good.

My favorite is Get Down Tonight by KC & The Sunshine Band which never fails to put me in the mood for a party.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHEsE9yN2CY

Had I been around in the 70’s, I don’t think I would have been open to disco as much because I would have seen the genre overall as a threat to the rock music that I love. However, in my current position in 2014 I think I’m able to have a more open mind to it and find the few hidden gems within the genre. Also despite my distaste for most modern pop music, I found Daft Punk’s recent disco-influenced hit Get Lucky to be pretty solid.

One thought on “In Defense of Disco

1. As a dancer if I were born in the 70’s I would have loved disco!! Not saying I don’t like it now though. I feel like for almost every genre of music something negative was said about it. That’s why I like to consider myself as a skeptic and not a cynic I take into consideration what the “facts” are although often bias and based on my own personal knowledge I come up with my own conclusion . Music in general to me is about how it makes me feel and if it makes me feel a way that I like then why not listen and jam to it regardless of what the majority says.